3 Easy Ways to Take Care of Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
Many homeowners prefer luxury vinyl flooring because of its many benefits. These include being durable, looking great, and needing little maintenance.
That said, you must take proper care of it. Otherwise, it will develop scratches and lose its shine.
To that end, here are some easy ways to care for your luxury vinyl flooring.
Let’s get started.
How to Take Care of Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
Most luxury vinyl flooring is waterproof. This makes it a preferred option for many homeowners. However, it cannot stand up to too much surface water. Keep in mind that flooding can cause damage if liquids seep through its seams and edges.
So, how do you protect your luxury vinyl plank flooring? By following an easy-care routine that will keep it looking new for years to come.
Get Rid of Debris
Debris and dirt make your floor look untidy and can cause scratches. So, make a daily habit of sweeping with a broom or dust mop, particularly in heavy traffic areas.
Consider vacuuming once or twice a week to remove fine dust particles. Do not use the beater bar, as this will scratch your floors. Instead, use a backpack or canister vacuums for effective cleaning.
Remove Tough Stains
Luxury vinyl flooring is easy to clean, but wipe up any spills to avoid stains. In case of stains, follow these suggestions:
- i) Sometimes you have no idea what is staining your luxury vinyl floor. In these cases, a paste of baking soda and water applied to a microfiber cloth is a safe option. Gently rub it on the floor before wiping it off with another clean cloth.
- ii) For makeup and ink stains, consider using isopropyl alcohol for spot treatment for effective results.
iii) If you are mopping the floor, consider adding a few drops of liquid dishwashing soap into the water. Do this only to remove dirt or grease stains. Make sure to clean it with a damp cloth so no residue is left behind.
- iv) For light stains and dirt, a commercial vinyl floor cleaner is ideal.
Use Doormats and Area Rugs
Place a doormat at your front door. This allows visitors to wipe their feet before entering and keeps your floor relatively clean. You can also install an area rug in high-traffic areas like the living room.
Some Additional Tips
- Avoid abrasive cleaners with high PH levels, such as bleach and ammonia.
- When getting rid of stubborn stains, make sure not to scrub hard. Instead, scrub gently.
- Remember not to drag heavy furniture as this may scratch the floor or cause dents.
- Use furniture pads to keep your floors free from dents or scratches.
- Before applying any DIY cleaning hacks, remember to do a patch test to see if it is suitable.
Whether you want to install vinyl flooring for your outdoor space or indoors, taking proper care of it is necessary for it to last. Now that you know the best and simplest cleaning and caring techniques, implement them into your daily routine. Just remember that even though you are choosing waterproof luxury vinyl flooring, you should only use water if necessary.